Monday 25 February 2013

Fortunato Depero

I really love the idea of linking futurism with Fedrigoni. Fedrigoni origionated in reverto, the home town of Fortunato Depero, an Italian futurist. I have been given a book, Case D Arte, which showcases the work by futurist Depero, and I think that I am going to use this as a primary inspiration for completing this project. I am imagining a slogan such as Fedrigoni Fururisti, Fedrigoni futuristic, or Fedrigoni E Futurista, fedrigoni is futuristic (I need to check the translation of these with an Italian speaking person).

Depero


Depero's work includes a lot of angles and bright colours. Dynamism is created through angled type, boldness of shapes and in some instances 3 dimensional form. The bright colour scheme which consists of greens, reds, yellows and blues, are placed on contrasting background colours to lift the subject and give the piece life. 



Geometry and shape are important in depero's work. Here, the figure is created out of circles nad rectangles. the final illustration is fun to look at but contains the dynamism and character of depero's futurist work. I know that the colour scheme that is used in Depero's work could be created using Fedrigoni paper. Fedrigoni produce over 400 types of paper with varying colour. One type in particular is the Fedrigoni sirio colour paper range. The colours in this are vivid and intense like the Depero colour scheme. Therefore, I will start designing with this type of colour scheme in mind. Using intense, bold colours to stand out from the page. 


This is another piece by Depero that I really like. I think that the combination of circles and diagonals creates a really strong composition. The colours are great. The blue/grey works really effectively with the dark red and orange. Everything about the piece is striking and bold. The image works really well as a piece of art. I could imagine this piece being produced on a really large scale, it would be very striking. 


Perspective is used here again in Depero's work. The text is set on the perspective lines, however does not change size. This is visually playful and really effective in making the text stand out. The actual typeface used I particularly like. Its letter forms create great dynamism and convey everything that Depero and futurism is about. I need to see if I can produce a typeface like this or use a typeface that is already existing in my Fedrigoni work. 


Again, Depero uses perspective, diagonal lines and circular lines to create a dynamic, bold image. Black works really well in these images, its used sparingly but really focuses your eye on paticular areas. The composition is really effective, drawing your eye upwards to the title. Even the small caption at the bottom of the image is angled to coincide with the central image to draw your eye upwards through the composition. This is something that I need to consider when producing my Fedrigoni artwork. Construction of composition will be particularly important. The use of geometry and angles to create dynamism is something that I wish to explore. 


This is another great example of Depero's work. The central image is 3 dimentional, however the perspective does not make a lot of sense. Instead, Depero has used perspective playfully. I really like the use of shapes cutting through text and altering the colour of the text when the shape meets it. The colour scheme consists of two reds- one for shadow and one for highlighted areas, and a green which is used for both foreground and shadow, again a play with perspective. Overall, the image is extremely visually interesting and unique. 






No comments:

Post a Comment